People get played real fast these days. At cheetah-like speed, the corporate rape must stop. Who knew Deborah Gregory,the author of The Cheetah Girls, was not getting her paper. Check out this LA Times story that chronicles many other accomplished writers who don't receive adequate compensation for their genius. My thoughts on the situation is don't just sign on the dotted line. Be fully cognizant with your dealings in any endeavor.
On another thought...
Anybody happen to check out that R.Kelly diss record called "I'm a Beast?" Well, rumor has it that he supposedly is beefing with Def Jam recording artist Ne-Yo. I don't know about the validity of those findings, but I do know I would put all my money(including my R.Kelly discography)up against any battle pitting the Pied Piper with any up and coming R&B singer. I'm sorry, but Kells is a legend in the game. The Swagnificent thinks Chicago holds music down in general.
Let me think of a quick list. We have..R.Kelly, Donell Jones, David Hollister, and Carl Thomas. The soul is just in the air like that. I think they get it from fellow Chi-town natives Sam Cooke, Curtis Mayfield, and Nat King Cole. Let me not get on the Chicago hip-hop scene. The underground scene is killing too. Just listen to the music, year by year. Point blank, period, R.Kelly is the undisputed king of R&B.
I could also provide extensive argumentation against P.Diddy's claim on inventing the remix. If the music version of remix was in Merriam Webster's catalog you would probably find a mug of R.Kelly. Lol, you just going to ride the bat mobile through the hood like that huh...
I couldn't find the embedded version of this video, so copy and paste the link below yourself.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TVYSo1Zatlo
...Say what you want about dude's personal life. He's still a beast. Omit that last sentence. My guy is a mongrel. An ogre!
P.S: While I'm on the R&B topic...If you want to,go give Kenna a gander. Scratch that, go check out my homie Mark's blog asaptual and download the lp from site.
Here are a couple of other swagnificent listening pieces.
I hope you are given these artists good spins: Van Hunt(he kind of reminds me of Curtis Mayfield), Raheem Devaugn, The Dream, Brandon Hines(What up young frat?), Trey Songz, Lloyd, Estelle, Janelle Monae, Kenna(his sound is r&b meets ol girl off Misery--Crazy! Last but not least, one of my favorites, Dwele( Check out Rize.
Big ups to Black Moses at "Somewhere I never traveled." for the Dwele link. I don't know about your L.A Laker title prediction just yet, my dude.
I love this game.
The Swagnificent.
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Swagnificent Thoughts...
Labels:
Beasts,
Beef,
Brandon Hines,
Chicago,
Chicago soul,
Curtis Mayfield,
Gotham City,
Kenna,
Ogres,
Soulful music,
The remix
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Decent post Yanney. I can't ride for the "Arruh" as much as in years past but he definitely shadows Ne-Yo in impact and overall contributions to the R&B game. Still the thought of singers beefing on wax is stupid as hell. Indeed Sam Cooke and Curtis Mayfield are rolling over in heaven right now. Liked the Kenna reference (Say Goodbye to Love is the jam).
Great thinkers think alike, I just made a fresh blog myself, check it out cause as Snoop say "I had to do it."
http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/Means/index.shtml
Post a Comment